It’s time for my Weekly WIP Update! If I can learn to get my timing right, this will stay on Saturdays or be moved to Fridays depending on which is easier. I am proud to say that I got a lot more done this week than I planned. My husband started feeling bad Tuesday afternoon and by the same time Wednesday I had to take him to the hospital, which wasn’t fun. He’s fine! He has asthma and sinus problems which combined with bronchitis have just proceeded in making him a miserable blob that has trouble breathing. He’s on all sorts of remedy medication and feeling better everytime I get him to sleep. However, it did mean that I skipped two entire days of writing. The first day because we were at the hospital for hours then the stress of picking up medicine and fast food for dinner, which I just don’t like anymore. That night when I finally had time, I was too exhausted to manage a sentence and I didn’t feel good. Second day, he didn’t sleep needed more medicine for that. He finally went to bed and shortly after he fell asleep, I realized that I was sick too. So another day of reasons for not writing. The third day, when I was at my lowest and he finally started feeling better, I managed about 500 words.
So I know the word count is lower than it could be, but sick days are sick days and that can’t really be helped. Those 500 words were terrible, by the way, I do not suggest writing while taking cough syrup. I did proudly manage to break 11K which I am happy with. According to my chart I have 15.8% of my overall word count goal completed. I’m glad to be working on Firemists again, we broke up for a while but time apart made us both better and the flow came back. I have a strong feeling I will make it through my revisions without having to pull my hair out by the roots in the process. Of course that can also change in two pages so, no promises that will last through to next week.
Details are being added, some things are being taken away, this editing process isn’t driving me as crazy as I thought it might. I had difficulty working out the first chapters of Firemists, adding details and picking the right opening character proved itself to be a challenge but I like how it came out. It is a minor character, however it really sets things up a lot neater than before. I have added much, much more scenery, lest I be shot dead by the next person who reads this WIP without enough scenery in it. That gave me a great deal of trouble until I found a few geographical words to use instead of trying to give a picture I couldn’t seem to paint without the right words. Once I used the right ones, the world came to life for the testers I had read it better than before.
I’m honestly hoping to have this done soon, I’m already five chapters in and I’ve cut the expected word count down from 100K to 75K. I don’t want to spend too long on it again and burn out. It needs to be edited and ready to look at again before autumn, so that’s my goal. By the end of the summer, Firemists should be in Edit Stage Two and my other WIP, which there will be an update about sometime in the future, should be in Edit Stage One. Accordingly to the husband though, Firemists needs to go somewhere other than stored away for a rainy day, he is very seriously pushing me to finish it and I don’t think I could love him any more for it than I already do. I don’t think I would have gotten half as far as I have without him making sure my word count goes up by so much every day, bringing me coffee, and reminding me that I don’t have an excuse not to finish after all the work I put into it in the beginning. He really is amazing at enabling me.
As always, I am in the market for future beta readers for Firemists, you won’t be expecting anything from me until September or October. Other than that, I don’t think there is anything left.